Wednesday

The Anti Bicycle


"...Amherst College graduate beginning her career in Washington, D.C., was killed in the nation's capital yesterday morning when she was run over by a garbage truck while riding her bicycle to work....She was riding westbound on R Street NW when the truck, traveling in the same direction, took a right turn and apparently did not see the cyclist..."
Northborough woman killed in D.C. -- The Boston Globe


I post this for a couple of reasons....

(1) My heart goes out to Miss Alice Swanson's family. She was so young and sounds like an eager hard working person, which this world needs more of everyday. She is an icon for young women who want to chase their dreams. This is truly a sad loss for us Washingtonians.

(2) I'm against riding bikes in the city. Its just too dangerous out there. I grew up in the suburbs and I rode my bike like a maniac when I was a kid. I have the scars and chipped tooth to prove it, but I will never let my loved ones buy a bike if they live in a city.

(3) Riding bikes in DC is HAZARDOUS and many people don't realize this. Luckily there are not a lot of deaths but I have seen with my own eyes at least two riders get hit by cars in DC. Plus I had a college friend end up in the hospital for weeks because she got clipped by a car while riding her bike in DC. So be aware of the risks and dangers.

(4) People, when driving a vehicle (especially large ones) in a city, please lookout for other vehicles, pedestrians, pets and BICYCLES! Bikes move faster then pedestrians so I know it can be hard to spot them and I have seen bikers break every traffic law known to man but still you're in a metal box and they're sitting on a metal stick. Do the math.

(5) This is a reminder that bike safety starts with the bicyclist. From what I've read about the accident it was the truck drivers fault. He really didn't see Miss Swanson, but I've driven large vehicles. You have to check your blind spots every time. Also I do know that when riding your bike in the city you need to play defense all the time so please EVERYONE you need to check out BicycleSafe.com and read the entire article about "How to Not Get Hit by Cars" plus the BikeArlington.com safety tips are pretty simple and helpful. Know them, practice them and ride safely.

Accidents happen but don't play with your lives people. We actually may need some of you one day.

"If you ride in such a way that a car has to see you to take action to avoid hitting you, then that means they will definitely hit you if they don't see you. But if you stay out of their way, then you won't get hit even if they didn't notice you were there."