Wednesday

31 Things: #6 Put A Ring On It

"Tip # 6. It's shocking how much guys will talk about marriage. Until there's a ring on your finger, it will be better for you if you pretend you're deaf."

I agree with this totally, but I don't think guys talk about marriage to test you or play games. We too think of what it would be like to be shackled to you for life and sometimes these thoughts get expressed verbally.

Now if he keeps bringing it up all the time, I bet he's seriously considering it. Yet, before you pretend to be deaf and guard your heart, make sure you lay down some ground rules. Either tell him to shut up or give him some help. For example... I had a girlfriend, who would take the jewelry magazines that showed up at our apartment and she would circle all the jewelry she liked, even the engagement rings.

I know that girls think about it and plan it way before we even show up in their lives, so trust me when I say... we don't know what you want. So its better that you set boundaries... telling him to drop the matter or step up and put a ring on it.

"It is also important to listen carefully to what your guy is saying. Does he make jokes about how about 50% of marriages in America end in divorce? Perhaps he is afraid of marriage or just doesn't see the point of it. Communication is key in understanding your guy." -- A Guy's View: How to talk about the future.


Beyoncé - Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It)


Sesame Street: Grover discusses What Is Marriage?



(This is part 6 of the "31 Things" series inspired by the article, "Things I Wish I'd Known About Dating When I was 21".)