Wednesday

31 Things: #13 Just Say Thank You

"Tip #13. Just because he might be smarter than you or more talented at certain things doesn't mean he's your servant and won't mind doing all your homework/research/chores."

No one likes to be taken advantage of. Period!!! BUT... I think most guys (and gals) don't mind doing all your homework/research/chores if they're getting something in return. If their actions are honestly being appreciated or rewarded in some fashion. It's about balance. The even trade.

You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours, may be a great way to do business, but in relationships I think people have a hard time keeping score. I like to believe that if the shoe was on the other foot that my partner would do the same for me. That way, I can sweep the floor, wash the laundry and buy groceries, because I know deep down that if I was working her schedule she would do the same. Yet to reinforce that belief, I would need to receive a sense of sincere gratefulness or an offer of some sort.

The best part is that there are so many things that can be offered. Now, I'm not talking about sexual favors, though I'm sure its a currency most guys won't shy away from, but think simple. Such as paying for the next date, offering to cook dinner or letting them pick tonight's TV show.

If people feel appreciated, they will do a lot of things without complaining. We are challenged to serve one another, but let's not take it for granted. So say, "Thank you," and mean it.

"Feeling grateful or appreciative of someone or something in your life actually attracts more of the things that you appreciate and value into your life." -- Christiane Northrup


Dido - Thank You



(This is part 13 of the "31 Things" series inspired by the article, "Things I Wish I'd Known About Dating When I was 21". Also, photo credit goes to Mike.)