Wednesday

1.20.09 (Part 1)

I don't like writing about current events, but I was there and it was a good day I'll never forget.

Obama's inauguration speech - live mashup


I had spent the whole weekend doing random Obama things by myself. Saturday I went down to the national mall and walked around the Capitol. Everything was empty but everything was fully decorated. It felt like Christmas and I got very excited.

On Sunday, I went to Georgetown for the Manifest Hope DC exhibit, which rocked my socks. So many different artistic ideas about Obama and his message of Hope. Plus Shepard Fairey was there. I was too scared to go up to him and shake his hand. People like him, inspire me to never give up my art and get a real job. Thanks for being you.

I rested on Monday and my brothers and sister came over to spend the night. We drank and dance the night away before passing out around 3am.

On Tuesday, we woke up at 6:30 am and were standing on a crowded Metro train at 7. We got off in Farragut Square and we followed the crowd down empty business streets and through the valley of law firms to the mall. We entered behind the Washington Monument and like black coffee spilling over your desk the crowd slowly poured into the empty spaces. My heart soared as we watch the birds swarm over head. It was cold, but the smiling faces of 2 million people kept the day warm. We went as far as we could and ended up at the halfway point 50 yards from a jumbotron. We stood for two hours waiting for the show began and with the crowd we cheered as the aerial shot revealed the magnitude of this day. When Obama took his oath and the chains on our dreams faded into dust. We let out a roar of victory. I hugged the people around me and held onto my siblings tight. We did this for our family.

The cold didn't matter. My hurting feet and back didn't matter. It was all worth it! We celebrated life. We celebrated change. These moments come once in a life time and I was there. I'm black and I'm proud, but I was even prouder to be an American that day. God bless the Obamas and this beautiful country.



PS> I'm going through all my photos and should be posting them next week. Sorry for the delay.